Saturday, March 8, 2008

When You See the Southern Cross for the First Time

Cape Town! I've been having a smashing time so far here in South Africa. I easily got over the I-just-arrived-jitters. Fo me it seems as though your first day at a backpackers lodge is akin to the first day of college. You live in a dorm and everyone is open to meeting new people. I've also been hanging out with a friend of a friend, Hayley, (a native South African) and all her awesome friends.

Today I climbed the 3,000 ft Table Mountain. The Skeleton Gorge trail that we took was so steep in some places that there were ladders provided at certain points. It was exhausting! But the biggest surprise were the big pools of water at the top. It was a bit surreal. There was literally a beach on top of this mountain complete with pure white sand. And the views looking down on Cape Town were absolutely spectacular.

Yesterday I got to hang out with penguins! We went to a park where they're just lounging around on the beach. They don't seem to be afraid of humans so you can get right up close to them. They mostly sleep or clean their feathers when they are on land but occasionally waddle around a bit to everyone's amusement.

I went to Clifton Beach earlier in the week. It was another picture perfect location. The water is literally freezing cold because it comes directly from Antarctica. And because the weather was so steaming hot Hayley and I were brave enough to take a very brief dip. Very refreshing.

Because I've been able to hang out with some of the locals, I've gotten to learn about some of the issues South Africa is facing such as race, unemployment and rolling blackouts. But it's also fun to play I call it this, you call it that. Like traffic lights vs. robots or flip-flops vs. slops.

I'm starting to get used to cars driving on the opposite side of the road. That is a very good thing since it can be dangerous when you accidently look the wrong way for cars crossing the street. Funny thing is people walk on the opposite side of the sidewalk too. This has led to many an awkward stutterstep.

My next route will most likely be along the coast of South Africa up to the area near the border with Mozambique.

Cheers!

2 comments:

changwonchang@gmail.com said...

the robots! i like that...

crashbella said...

bella! glad to hear you are having a wonderful time. take care. ciao, xo — richmond